Fort Recovery Area Chamber of Commerce
May 23, 2016
The Fort Recovery Chamber of Commerce met in regular session on Monday, May 23, 2016 at Thienmans.
Members Present: Ted Romer, Joe Faller, Connor Rammel, Sandy Keller, Chad Guggenbiller, PG Jellison, Bob Fremeyer, Justin Firks, Randy Diller, Sue Heiser, Amanda Wyerick.
The meeting was called to order by President, Ted Romer.
Grace before meal was given by Bob Fremeyer.
Secretary Report: A motion was made by PG Jellison to approve the minutes of the April meeting; seconded by Connor Rammel.
Treasurer’s Report: Beginning checking balance was $2,733.16; ending balance is $2,538.69. Fort Recovery Foundation- Scholarship Fund is $6,641.02 plus $49.00 cash on hand. Grand Total is $9,228.71.
Camp Encourage is the rebranded Camp Bearable which the Chamber has donated to in the past. $50 was agreed to be donated this year. Motion to accept the donation amount was made by Sue Heiser and seconded by Amanda Wyerick.
Payment for the two scholarships will be made payable out of the Foundation Scholarship Fund this year.
FR 225 Committee:
- Industrial Day: Monday, June 13, 2016 is the Industrial Day for the 225 Celebration. Tours have been set up and are filling up fast. Two tours will begin at 9am and two will begin at 1pm. Businesses participating in the tours include: JR Manufacturing, Fort Recovery Industries, J&M Manufacturing, and Buckeye Design. Each tour will consist of 4 stops and with a 45-minute tour at each location. Buses and drivers are being provided by Fort Recovery Local Schools. Erin Minor and Jared Ebbing will be serving as the tour guides. Tours are limited to 15 participants per time slot due to the use of wireless headphones.
- Taste of Fort Recovery: Monday, June 13, 2016 5-8pm as part of the Business/Industrial day. Food businesses will be participating by utilizing a ticket system. Tickets can be bought at Brockman Appliances 12 for $10 or they can be purchased on Brick Street for $1 each. Other merchants can participate by offering sidewalk sales from 2-8pm on the brick street. Wangler Hardware will be celebrating 100 years with a display as well as Cheeseman Trucking.
- Contests: Beard Contest will be judged on Monday, June 13, 2016 at 6:30 pm on a stage near Second National Bank followed by the Costume Judging at 7pm.
Nominations for open seats were discussed. Connor Rammel was elected to be the new Vice President and Bob Fremeyer as the Trustee. Both will serve a two-year term. A motion to accept the newly elected positions was made by Randy Diller; seconded by Sue Heiser. Joe Faller will begin to serve as President at the June meeting.
Fort Recovery Schools:
- Graduation was held yesterday, May 22, 2016. 61 students graduated. Half will be attending college to pursue a 4-year degree; 15 for a 2-year degree, 10 will be going into the workforce, 4 will be earning a 1-year certificate and 2 will be joining the armed forces.
- School is currently seeking a 9-12 Principal as well as a 4-8 Principal. Justin does not seem to think there will be any issues with filling both positions before next school year.
- The Kemper residence has been demolished. Currently waiting on seeding. Long term plans may include additional parking area.
- Circus on the School property seemed to go very well. No issues.
- Camp Lafalot will be hosted at the High School this Summer. More info can be requested from the school.
- Boys Baseball are on their way to Regionals!
- The School has agreed to allow the use of their facilities for and Active Shooter Training for the Fort Recovery Police Department and the Mercer County Sheriff’s Department on June 6 & 7, 2016.
Fort Recovery Village:
- State Route 119 has been paved. Striping and cross bars will be painted this week.
- John Street and parts of Indian Heights will be repaved this year beginning in June.
- Elm Street Reconstruction will take place on the most southern block of Elm Street. This will include curbs, sidewalks, street lights as well as pavement. Tom’s Construction will be doing the work.
- Williams Street Reconstruction will take place next year due to possible extra funding. This will also include curbs, sidewalks, street lights, as well as repaving the road.
- Trails – currently the engineering is finishing up on the new walking path throughout Community Park. Construction will take place very soon.
- Community Park Restrooms – Community Foundation has funded an additional $26,000 this year ($19,000 last year) for a total of $45,000 to be used for the restroom improvement.
- Community Plan – draft has been received back. New ideas and corrections are being done now. Will present to the business community hopefully next month.
- Zoning Changes – Doc Carr has three properties on N Wayne and Broadway Street that have recently been rezoned to Commercial. A partial lot on Sharpsburg Road (part of the Industrial Park) has been rezoned to Residential.
- Memorial Day Parade – This parade is put on by the VFW and the American Legion. It will begin at 7pm at the N Wayne Street Bridge and will end on the East side of Monument Park. A guest speaker, a former POW, will be there to talk about his experiences.
- Pool is scheduled to be opened on Monday, May 30, 2016. New this year, thanks to Cameron Romer and his Eagle Scout Project, will be a newly concreted area complete with two 12’ shade umbrellas and 4 tables with chairs!
- 225 ideas are still be talked about at the Merchant meetings. They are excited for the Taste of Fort Recovery and sidewalk sales on Monday, June 13, 2016. Flyers are going up at local businesses.
- Circus – not sure of exact numbers but in the range of 800 attendees. This is down approximately 200 from the last time the circus was in town.
- 927 Registered in waves from 8am to 1:30pm. A few more injures this year; however, nothing too bad. New obstacles were added to this year’s event. Clean up mode right now. Next year’s event has been planned for May 20, 2017.
- Fort Recovery NTPA Grand Nationals will be held at Ambassador Park on July 29th & July 30th at 7:00pm
- Just recently approved the grant distributions for 2016
Membership invoices are being reviewed and will be sent out this week.
With no other business, Randy Diller made a motion to adjourn.
The next meeting is scheduled for June 27, 2016 @ Thienmans