The Fort Recovery Chamber of Commerce met in regular session on Tuesday, August 31 at Brick Street Tavern.
Members Present: PG Jellison, Randy Diller, Amy Spriggs, Megan Steinberg, Eric Brackman, Thomas Shaw, Sue Heiser, Larry Brown, Amy Wendel & Ted Romer.
The meeting was called to order by member, Ted Romer.
Secretary Report: Sue Heiser made a motion to approve the July meeting minutes seconded by PG Jellison.
Treasurers Report: Checking account beginning balance $6,427.10 disbursements totaling $30.00, receipts totaling $75.00, with an ending balance of $6,472.10. Cash on hand is $10.00 and the Fort Recovery Scholarship Fund $9,632.39 for a grand total of $16,114.49. Thomas Shaw made a motion to approve the August treasurers report, seconded by Randy Diller.
- A job shadow database of local businesses has been established. Thank you to those businesses who have already signed up. If at any time you would like to add your business to this list, please contact Tony Stahl firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The chamber is looking for someone to volunteer as secretary beginning November.
- Broadway and Elm Street are complete. Moving the truck route is the next step which will involve work with Ohio Department of Transportation.
- The village met last week with Ohio Department of Transportation for St. Rt. 119 reconstruction. This project is tentatively scheduled for 2024/2025.
- Finalizing stages for updating zoning codes.
- Applied for funds for a 2nd water tower.
- Met with the group organizing the Sawyer Overman Ninja Course.
- This fall there will be two operating renewal levies on the ballot. A 2.3 mill current expense levy and a 2.5 mill street maintenance levy. Both are renewals so no new funds are being requested.
- 4 council candidates will be coming up.
- There will be some work on removing and replacing the trees downtown.
- The Fort Street Car Classics will hold their fall cruise in October 9th from 4-8 p.m.
- School started back in session last week. There were minor challenges with the school’s air conditioning. The school brought in Kona Ice and spray fans to help with the heat. There is one more repair that needs to be done on the air conditioner to fix it. More than likely the school plans to replace the air conditioner next summer.
- It is time to refinance the high school bonds. This will be done in September and will reflect a savings for the school.
- The school will announce their recommendation for a baseball coach the end of September.
- There is nothing on the fall ballot for the school.
- The Board of Education will have 2 spots to vote for.
- The merchants will hold their next First Thursday in the Fort event on October 7th.
- Ice cream sales were a success at the tractor pulls.
- Cocktail drinks were a huge success at the WOW event.
- Christmas Open House will take place in November. More details to come.
- Jubilee went well this year with over $58,000 being distributed back to the community. Notably the parks received $29,821.22.
- The committee is looking for new members. If you are willing to help, please see a committee member.
- $97,000 in donations were received between the 4 local parishes to benefit those affected by the recent tornado. These funds were distributed amongst 32 families.
Historical Society & Project Recovery:
- One of a Kind Auction is scheduled for October 17th. The list of auction items is in the works. Items will be on display at Mays TV when available.
Wabash Mutual Telephone:
- Wabash is providing a free 7-day trial for Stream TV. You will get expanded TV package, app on up to 5 devices, 2 streams and 5 hours of DVR. Call the office for this free trial.
- Wabash is offering faster fiber speeds now 1 Gig up to 10 Gig. Call the office for more details
Tomorrow Technology Today:
- Tomorrow Technology Today is offering cyber security webinars along with bonus extras at no cost to attendees. Bonus extras include a 10-minute consult, cyber security pen test with assessment, report of findings meeting and on demand access to session recordings. Visit tomtechtoday.com/smallbusiness-ondemand for more details. This must be completed by September 30, 2021.
Traders Days will take place September 30th through October 3rd.
Thomas Shaw made a motion to adjourn.
The next meeting is scheduled for September 28 @ Tin Cupboard.